View Single Post
Old 01-15-2010, 06:24 PM   #15
Flesh4Fantasy
Banned

Flesh4Fantasy has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Flesh4Fantasy has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Flesh4Fantasy has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Flesh4Fantasy has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Flesh4Fantasy has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Flesh4Fantasy has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Flesh4Fantasy has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Flesh4Fantasy has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Flesh4Fantasy has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Flesh4Fantasy has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Flesh4Fantasy has a maximum reputation! (1000+)

[Edit: There was a post above this by RapeKarenX. I was posting in reply to that. I was not talking to myself. I have no idea why the post was removed.]

Ummm... Karen?

2 months is a generous amount of time. I completed and posted Charming II on November 7th. Then I took about a week off. (Major stories always stick in my head and I need some time between such efforts.)

During that week I asked my co-author if she would like to write with me and I sent her a much shorter opening section of Madness to entice her... Happily, she said yes and we began work on about November 14th. We passed the tale back and forth via e-mail. Keep in mind that neither of us could write ahead till we had received back the latest section from their partner. I'd also like to note that I had never written with kimbra_ailis previous to this story, nor had I ever done an RP with her. We had to feel our way a bit slowly at first and get to know one another, but it did help having read each other's work.

Into the Path of Madness... was ready to post on December 28th. 45 days time spent writing and two major holidays (Thanksgiving and Christmas) were included during that time. Plus work, family, etc...

So in 45 days we had written a 15,000 word story.

OR

Suppose one were to write 500 words a day, 4 days out of every week. That's 2,000 words a week. Times 8 weeks = 16,000 words.

Now consider that the average story for the genre is considerably less than 10,000 words. I haven't done the word counts, but I would guess that the average is more like 5,000 words.

5,000/8 = 625 words per week... That's about 210 words a day, three days out of every week.

The number of words above this line total 284.

I am not trying to brag... Or condescend to you. Writing is very illusory. If you are in the habit (and there are many prolific authors on this board who are in the habit) then you are most likely writing something or planning what to write next. It simply becomes a matter of finding that idea which fits the contest theme...

Charming II was started late and missed a one month deadline by a week and could not be submitted for a contest on another board. It does happen that you can't always get it together in time... But the two month deadline should not be to blame for the lack of entries. There is a sort of malaise on the board at the moment.

Hopefully enthusiastic new Members such as you, RapeKarenX, will breath some life back into the place. I find it very encouraging that you have taken such an interest in the workings of the contest.

Flesh4Fantasy

Last edited by Flesh4Fantasy; 03-02-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Flesh4Fantasy is offline   Reply With Quote