View Single Post
Old 08-14-2008, 08:03 PM   #12
Seven
and more

Seven has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Seven has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Seven has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Seven has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Seven has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Seven has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Seven has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Seven has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Seven has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Seven has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Seven has a maximum reputation! (1000+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHoney View Post
I would like to know the same thing, what stereotypes there are about Americans. When I was in Europe, I either received fantastic treatment (from people who knew where I was from), or normal treatment (from those who didnt know where I was from). I dont know what others think of Americans, therefore I cannot come up with any stereotypes. Maybe the majority of you who arent American can help? (I promise NOT to get offended this time )
Promise you won't get offended? Well, there are a lot of stereotypes about American, of course you have a big country omnipresent in the world and influencing our culture, so here are some of the bad stereotypes I can think of:
- Americans eat junk food, coke and are fat
- They can speak not other language than English (well, now they can sometimes speak Spanish too)
- They must be stupid because they elected Bush twice
Well, we think it applies for half the American... so the rest must be "normal".

Other common stereotypes:
- Buildings, cities, everything is bigger (compared to Europe)
- The place to go when you want Levi's or computers for less money (again, compared to Europe, but Asia is cheaper)
- We find amazing the violent movies are often "All audiences", and "PG-13" or Restricted when there is a single sex scene: puritans
- Girls are hot but dress badly

But we do like most of the American culture, if not why would we tend to be more and more "americanized"?

Of course these are just stereotypes so do not take them personally dear.
I've never been anywhere else in the US than in the North East (Washington-New York area), but from what I've seen people are much more friendly and more willing to help than in France.