View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 08:25 AM   #547
FuckingRotter
The Fist of Fury.

FuckingRotter has a maximum reputation! (1000+)FuckingRotter has a maximum reputation! (1000+)FuckingRotter has a maximum reputation! (1000+)FuckingRotter has a maximum reputation! (1000+)FuckingRotter has a maximum reputation! (1000+)FuckingRotter has a maximum reputation! (1000+)FuckingRotter has a maximum reputation! (1000+)FuckingRotter has a maximum reputation! (1000+)FuckingRotter has a maximum reputation! (1000+)FuckingRotter has a maximum reputation! (1000+)FuckingRotter has a maximum reputation! (1000+)

I won't bore you with a lesson in in the social history of the United Kingdom in the late 20th century.

However, the urban regeneration that took place through the late 80s and continues today, a mixture of government and private money, was designed to tackle the exact type of inequality, discrimination and persecution that Irish Catholics were experiencing, as well as address the problems caused by a decline in industry in large urban areas.

Paddy wasn't the only one that had it hard. In fact I grew up in the second most affluent borough in the country, but the estate I was born on had 40% unemployment, and youth unemployment was at 70%. What does that tell you about the British class system? You didn't have to be Irish to experience political and economic neglect, persecution by the police. When I returned to the area to start further education, I was told in no uncertain terms that I had more chance of plaiting shit, than of finding a job when I finished my course, unless I moved! You could be discriminated against just for having the wrong postcode.

Changes in employment and housing in Ulster weren't because of the IRA, they were delayed by the IRA, because it would be insane for government and industry to put money in to a community in open armed revolt. Thanks to the likes of McGuinness, West Belfast and the Bogside are 20 years behind Moss Side and St Pauls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom8517 View Post
Economic disruption was by design. One goal of any insurgency is to prevent normal political or economic activity. The IRA was able to do this. the impact on the nationalist population was minimal, given the discrimination in housing and employment rampant at the time. When shipbuilding, textiles and a few other industries were booming the nationalists were largely frozen out. No reason to think new investment would have benefitted them. The changes in fair employment and housing practices are more a result of the troubles than in spite of them.

THE WESTCOUNTRY SHALL RISE AGAIN!

Yay! It's pink!

Don't think.... FEEL!

We're Englishmen, and we came here, to rape your women and drink your beer.

I went back in time and voted for Hitler.

Pouring oil on troubled waters since 2008. Then lighting a fucking match.
FuckingRotter is offline   Reply With Quote