View Single Post
Old 01-13-2011, 05:14 PM   #27
jwham
Privileged Member

jwham has a maximum reputation! (1000+)jwham has a maximum reputation! (1000+)jwham has a maximum reputation! (1000+)jwham has a maximum reputation! (1000+)jwham has a maximum reputation! (1000+)jwham has a maximum reputation! (1000+)jwham has a maximum reputation! (1000+)jwham has a maximum reputation! (1000+)jwham has a maximum reputation! (1000+)jwham has a maximum reputation! (1000+)jwham has a maximum reputation! (1000+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by menace View Post
It would seem that you my friend are the one lacking in historical lessons. Militia had very little to do with winning the War of Independence. The troops George Washington brought out of Valley Forge won the war, and even that with tremendous help from France and Spain. Every time the militia was engaged in great number, Americans lost battles. Only exceptions were Kings Mountain where the militia fought forces equal to them in quality, and the Cowpens, where it was the tactical genius of Daniel Morgan that compensated for the militia's weakness.
Although your American history is a little better in this post than in your last, you have down played the role of the Militia to fit your anti gun opinion, the truth is..
American Militia lacked the training and discipline of soldiers with more experience, but were more numerous and could overwhelm regular troops, as at the battles of Concord, Bennington and Saratoga, and the siege of Boston proved.

Seeking to coordinate military efforts, the Continental Congress established (on paper) a regular army in June 1775, and appointed George Washington as commander-in-chief. The development of the Continental Army was always a work in progress, and Washington used both his regulars and state militia throughout the war.

France's government secretly provided supplies, ammunition and weapons to the revolutionaries starting in 1776, they did not openly enter the war until the Continentals' capture of a British army in 1777, that led France to openly enter the war in early 1778, which evened the military strength with Britain.

Yes, Daniel Morgan was a tactical genius, born in New Jersey. The Continental Congress called for the formation of 10 rifle companies from the middle colonies to support the Siege of Boston, Morgan recruited 96 Militia men in 10 days, an outstanding group of marksmen nicknamed "Morgan's Riflemen." and marched them to Massachusetts for the Siege of Boston. He was a great American that contributed greatly throughout America's war of Independence.

So your down play of the Militia's contribution and success in the war for Independence is just incorrect.

There are other reasons for the right to bear arms other than enabling the people to organize a militia system, such as.. Deterring our government from becoming an totalitarian government, we yanks do not want our government to forget they serve us, not us them.

The chief reason America has remained a free country is the widespread private ownership of firearms. Individual ownership of guns made the American Revolution possible. The principal purpose of the Second Amendment was to maintain our freedom from government. It is an insult to our heritage to imply that the Founding Fathers wrote the Second Amendment just to protect deer hunters.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution states: "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." Polls show that up to 80% of the public believe citizens have a constitutional right to own guns.

* George Mason: "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

* Richard Henry Lee: "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

Quote:
And where did you get that I'm defending criminals? If it's because I'm anti-racist, then I think you just made my point for me.
Quote:
Lets look at things from the beginning. Why was the Second Amendment enacted? So that white people can shoot the Indians. Then so that white people could shoot black people. Now the Mexicans are the problem.
I take you as anti-white, and that is racist.

Quote:
Think about what happens when an armed criminal breaks into a house. If he encounters an unarmed tenant, he has to choose between 10 years in prison and a life in prison. And when he encounters an armed tenant, the criminal has to choose between killing or being killed.
Oh, but it's really not the problem in him being a criminal, since we know that 'criminal' is just a code word for a n*****.
Quote:
But I will say that an armed criminal scares me much less than a law abiding citizen with a gun.
Those are some of the most ridiculous statements I have ever heard coming from an adult.

Last edited by jwham; 01-13-2011 at 05:21 PM.
jwham is offline   Reply With Quote