View Single Post
Old 01-13-2011, 12:14 PM   #24
menace
Privileged Member

menace has a maximum reputation! (1000+)menace has a maximum reputation! (1000+)menace has a maximum reputation! (1000+)menace has a maximum reputation! (1000+)menace has a maximum reputation! (1000+)menace has a maximum reputation! (1000+)menace has a maximum reputation! (1000+)menace has a maximum reputation! (1000+)menace has a maximum reputation! (1000+)menace has a maximum reputation! (1000+)menace has a maximum reputation! (1000+)
Send a message via Yahoo to menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmetoo View Post
I'm not sure where you are from or what your background is, but you need to read up on history a bit. The Second Amendment was put in place to defend America from threats such as the British or the French. It was the Militia that greatly contributed to America winning its independence. It had nothing to do with shooting Native Americans. It was put in place so that newly formed federal government had the ability to defend itself against very powerful and formidable enemies from abroad.
It would seem that you my friend are the one lacking in historical lessons. Militia had very little to do with winning the War of Independence. The troops George Washington brought out of Valley Forge won the war, and even that with tremendous help from France and Spain. Every time the militia was engaged in great number, Americans lost battles. Only exceptions were Kings Mountain where the militia fought forces equal to them in quality, and the Cowpens, where it was the tactical genius of Daniel Morgan that compensated for the militia's weakness.
In later years, it always was the professional soldier that won the day for Lady Liberty, while American militia played the same part as all other militia formations throughout history, that of tavern heroes and war criminals.

Quote:
I'd be hard pressed to find that there is a single part of the world that was not created or expanded through violence. Maybe Antarctica? History shows that violence was the basis of every civilization that ever rose. Doesn't make it right, but doesn't make it an attack point either.
No argument. I sometimes get the feeling though that some Americans look upon this fact with pride.

Quote:
I don't see too many people running around with M16s in the part of the world I live in. I do know that the crime rate in my city and my state is very low and the reason is that criminals here know that they have a very real chance of being on the wrong end of the gun should they decide to break the law. It almost seems that you are trying to some how justify someone being a criminal here. I'll ignore your racial statement here since you seem to somehow have problems with people of race.
The M16 was a metaphor, I'll go on a limb and assume you know what those are. The point is, offensive weapons offer only the illusion of protection, not actual protection. People here in South Africa are armed to the teeth, but that hasn't lowered the crime rate.
And where did you get that I'm defending criminals? If it's because I'm anti-racist, then I think you just made my point for me.
And I'll bet that the low crime figures in your town and state have jack shit to do with guns and everything to do with social equality and an effective justice system, the real cures for crime.

But I will say that an armed criminal scares me much less than a law abiding citizen with a gun.

Quote:
As I said earlier I know nothing about you or your background. But is seems here that you toss the "redneck" title around with as much abandon and disrespect as you do the "n*****" (sic) word. You're just trying to throw some gas on the fire with these statements. Guess that is why they call this the rowdy room. If you have a point to make here it is lost on me.
I think you got my point perfectly, but are too afraid to argue against it.

Last edited by menace; 01-13-2011 at 01:41 PM.
menace is offline   Reply With Quote