View Single Post
Old 12-01-2010, 05:53 PM   #36
Lil-Mac
The Resthome Rapist

Lil-Mac has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Lil-Mac has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Lil-Mac has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Lil-Mac has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Lil-Mac has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Lil-Mac has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Lil-Mac has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Lil-Mac has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Lil-Mac has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Lil-Mac has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Lil-Mac has a maximum reputation! (1000+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Lil-Mac

You'd have to be more specific. Soldiers by their nature tend to tease and harass one another about any number of things. This is a way they relieve stress, and believe it or not it's a way they bond. Often this teasing/harassment is sexual in nature. I was called a faggot more times than I could count while I was in, no one meant it. Likewise I told someone they could blow me at least once a day, I certainly never wanted them to drop to their knees. So no, I dont think that sort of thing should be punished at all, and if some gay guy were to go crying to their commander that "Billy called me a faggot" then I would argue that he had no business in the military in the first place. If you arent tough enough to take a little teasing then you are not tough enough to fight.

If you are talking physical harassment, or serious mental abuse (death threats and the like) then yes. The offending member should be punished, there is no room for that sort of behavior in the military.

My big fear is this. That with the flip of a switch DADT is going to be repealed and that at least in the short term there are going to be problems of this sort. Eventually the military will get it sorted and people will adjust, but I do think there will be problems.

Another fear I have is retention. The long awaited report was released today and in it nearly one third of our soldiers said they would at least consider leaving the military if gays are to be allowed to serve openly. ONE THIRD!! While two wars are being fought. Does anyone really think that we cam lose a third of our people and NOT have it hurt national security. Even if it's only one tenth that's still a hell of a lot of people. Not only that but 58% of combat marines and 48% of combat army say it will adversely affect the way they perform their duties and/or hurt unit morale and cohesion.

If the days of DADT are numbered, and they probably are, then these concerns need to be addressed before that switch is thrown. Look at it this way, if letting in one gay guy means that 10 trained soldiers are going to quit then I am sorry but that's not a good trade in my book.

Last edited by Lil-Mac; 12-01-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Lil-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote