View Single Post
Old 05-27-2013, 02:21 PM   #22
dickbiggers

dickbiggers has a maximum reputation! (1000+)dickbiggers has a maximum reputation! (1000+)dickbiggers has a maximum reputation! (1000+)dickbiggers has a maximum reputation! (1000+)dickbiggers has a maximum reputation! (1000+)dickbiggers has a maximum reputation! (1000+)dickbiggers has a maximum reputation! (1000+)dickbiggers has a maximum reputation! (1000+)dickbiggers has a maximum reputation! (1000+)dickbiggers has a maximum reputation! (1000+)dickbiggers has a maximum reputation! (1000+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickbiggers View Post
I don't think men's magazines are nearly as dangerous to girls as women's magazines. At least with men's, the message is "Hey! Check out these slutty hotties! They're hawt!!1!". Girls aren't paying them any attention. It's the women's magazines like Cosmo and those that girls are reading and getting their warped views of beauty and fashion. I was there in the 90's. Kate Moss harmed far more teenage girls than Jenna Jameson ever could. That whole "waif" fad was a product of the teenage girl market...not the teenage boy market.
I responded to the wrong quote. You mentioned eating disorders and industry instilled standards of beauty and body type.

Quote:
Except that its EXACTLY magazines like that which cause unstable and hormonal girls to start eating disorders. Unrealistic expectation. Never mind teaching men who have no chance of getting even the non-airbrushed version of the girl in the magazine into believing all women actually look like that.
I maintain that magazines aimed at teen girls are way more dangerous in that context than magazines aimed at men and teen boys. Yes, the men's magazines promote objectification, but it is the Cosmo's of the world that whisper "you'd be pretty if you weren't so fat and dressed better" to young girls.