View Single Post
Old 03-20-2008, 07:25 AM   #180
Sternenlied
Unknown Entity

Sternenlied has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Sternenlied has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Sternenlied has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Sternenlied has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Sternenlied has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Sternenlied has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Sternenlied has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Sternenlied has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Sternenlied has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Sternenlied has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Sternenlied has a maximum reputation! (1000+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Sternenlied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huni_Heart
If you knew that somebody was a rapist, but got away with it, what would you you do, if anything, and why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ego
I think criminals who finally got away have two kinds of reaction. Either they realize the consequences of their action and they feel sorry -they regret it, or they think its cool and plan the next one.
Well, with rapists there are numerous other possiblities. Many suffer from mental illness which might render them incapable of looking at it that way.

During my work I have spoken to many rapists (as well as murderers) who committed their crimes out of various reasons and many of them felt guilty about it. Many of them wanted to ask their victims (or the victim's relatives in case of murder/manslaughter) for forgiveness.
That's something I couldn't give them of course but for some I actually felt sorry. However the assailant's feelings doesn't really change anything for the victim. So in any case I think I would turn a rapist in in any case.
Whatever the reason for raping someone the results of a rape are just too devastating for the victim to let someone get away with it. The only incentive stopping me from going after the rapist might be the victim specifically asking me not to but I'd still make sure the guy would be kept a close eye on anyway.