View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010, 05:08 AM   #1
batffink
Privileged Member

batffink has a maximum reputation! (1000+)batffink has a maximum reputation! (1000+)batffink has a maximum reputation! (1000+)batffink has a maximum reputation! (1000+)batffink has a maximum reputation! (1000+)batffink has a maximum reputation! (1000+)batffink has a maximum reputation! (1000+)batffink has a maximum reputation! (1000+)batffink has a maximum reputation! (1000+)batffink has a maximum reputation! (1000+)batffink has a maximum reputation! (1000+)
Default How times have changed.

In 1947 (Yes - 1947) when I started school, I learned to write on a slate. After a year we graduated to pencil and then to pen and ink. I had the job of mixing the ink powder with water to make ink.
I remember when ball point pens were invented and first appeared in the shops. We weren't allowed to bring them to school as it was believed they would not be good for our handwriting.
We learned our mathematical tables by heart and had to pass a mental arithmetic question each every night before we were allowed to go home. I can still recite the tables and add up a shopping bill before the shop assistant does it on the till.
I just spent Christmas with my daughter, son in law and three grandchildren and was dumbfounded when they each recieved an i-pad as presents. I was told that they are now mandatory in their school.
They are great kids but are totally fucking useless at adding up without a calculator. Every child at their school has a computer on which they do their assignments and there are no exams because failing is not politically correct.
Times have changed but not, I think, necessarily for the better. Happy new year to you all.