View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
dickbiggers

dickbiggers has a maximum reputation! (1000+)dickbiggers has a maximum reputation! (1000+)dickbiggers has a maximum reputation! (1000+)dickbiggers has a maximum reputation! (1000+)dickbiggers has a maximum reputation! (1000+)dickbiggers has a maximum reputation! (1000+)dickbiggers has a maximum reputation! (1000+)dickbiggers has a maximum reputation! (1000+)dickbiggers has a maximum reputation! (1000+)dickbiggers has a maximum reputation! (1000+)dickbiggers has a maximum reputation! (1000+)
Default I'm living the first 10 minutes...

...of every Zombie/Apocalypse wasteland/fall of society movie ever!!!

So yesterday, I walk into the lab and the secretary says "Watch out!". There's this huge clear puddle on the floor. I walk through Micro and people are mulling around looking concerned. Then I walk through the specimen storage room and its under an inch of clear fluid. Lastly, the histology department is awash also.

Seems that our toxic chemical drainage system has...you guessed it...failed and is now backing up into the lab. Xylene, Benzene, Acetone, a few other zenes and tones...real skull and crossbones stuff is an inch deep over the entire lab with an accompanying stink that takes your knees out.

Facilities management staggers by, scratches their collective ass, and they make short work of the problem...in about three hours. Meantime, whoever is not higher than a kite is sicker than shit. But at least its over. It couldn't possibly happen again the very next day, right?

Fuck me! 10 oclock, right on cue the cutting room floor starts getting a shine to it and starts to stink to high heaven. Within 15 minutes, the place is swamped. At least we evacuated the department this time with only a few months taken off our lives instead of actual years like yesterday.

So it got me thinking. How actually possible is the ultimate zombie/post-fall B-movie scenario? Scientists cook up some nasty shit...the seals fail, and instant death floats out with the wind. After the past two days breathing toxic carcinogens, I'm starting to think its not so far fetched.