View Single Post
Old 05-12-2009, 01:50 PM   #31
Sierra
Privileged Member

Sierra has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Sierra has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Sierra has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Sierra has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Sierra has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Sierra has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Sierra has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Sierra has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Sierra has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Sierra has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Sierra has a maximum reputation! (1000+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuckingRotter View Post
That's not what I was trying to say, didn't think I was explaining myself very well. Forget all the trolls and deliberately hateful people for the moment. Amongst the more prominent posters here I don't think any one of us forgets the other is a human being, we just don't "get" each other. Mostly it's not a problem but now and again somebody posts something that pisses someone else off, and the poster is left wondering what they did that's so bad. That is a much worse than a deliberate insult, because then both people end up feeling they have a grievance where none really existed.
Absolutely true and even more true because of the international aspect of the board. We can all laugh about some of the differences in language between Brits and Americans and Australians and so on, but in some cases differences in regional or national idioms can create real misunderstandings. Add that to the fact that by the very nature of this board there is potential for aggression. AND that each one of us has "hot buttons" that will piss us off in the blink of an eye or that we might be having a bad day, or myriad other reasons to be particularly sensitive and you have a great recipe for what you actually see - ructions and ruckuses all over the place.

This is the internet, and the anonymity that allows us to explore our private fantasies also allows us to be aggressive jerks at times.
Sierra is offline   Reply With Quote