View Single Post
Old 10-02-2008, 03:50 AM   #2
knightwriter

knightwriter has initial reputation

The cop gave them a cursory look and then said, "Do you know why I pulled you over?"

"Um, speeding?" Kyla guessed, she felt like her heart was a small bird fluttering against the bottom of her throat, fighting hard to escape through her mouth.

"I've been watching you since James Street," said the cop, "You changed lanes four times without signaling, cut off other motorists, and were messing with your lipstick the whole time you were doing it."

"I'm sorry," she said automatically.

He pointed at her chest, "you're also not wearing a seatbelt."

"I'm sorry," she said again. Normally Kyla was fanatical about putting on her seat belt, but she hadn't worn it on purpose because she didn't want to wrinkle her blouse before the interview. She pulled the belt across her now, as if it would appease the cop, then smoothed her dark gray skirt against her lap. She saw the time on her dashboard and knew she still had a chance to make it to her interview. She felt a surge of urgency pressing against her thoughts. Incoming draft from the cars outside blew some of her hair out of place. Self consciously she brushed her long blonde hair back into place with both hands.

The cop walked back to his cruiser with all of her documentation in hand. Kyla adjusted her rearview mirror so that she could see him. She told herself that by moving the mirror into the proper position it would somehow compensate for her earlier indiscretion with applying her makeup while driving. She looked at the time nervously. She only had a few minutes left but if she left right now she could still make it. She stared at the cop, hoping he would come back to her window. As if on command, the cop got out of his car and walked over to her window again.

"Miss," said the officer, and this time Kyla thought he sounded irritated. "Did you know that you're license is suspended?"

"Yes," she said, and she felt hot and flush. "I mean, no. I mean, it was," she stammered. She took a deep breath, trying to compose herself. Time was slipping away and it was making it harder for her to focus. "It was suspended for one year but I got back like four months ago," she explained.

"The computer says your license is suspended right now. What was it suspended for?" asked the sheriff.

"DUI," she said nervously. "But I swear, it was only suspended for a year. I got it back four months ago."
knightwriter is offline   Reply With Quote