View Single Post
Old 10-02-2008, 03:50 AM   #1
knightwriter

knightwriter has initial reputation
Default Bad Cop Worse Cop

DISCLAIMER: Sometimes I like a long, slow beginning to get me in the mood. I craving such a thing when I wrote this. If you prefer less preamble, or you're the impatient type, scroll down looking for the words "START HERE" in caps.

I'm a new writer here and would love any genuine feedback that is offered. If you're just trying to increase your post number then dont waste your time or my time on this story.

---
Kyla's world was a flurry of activity. She goaded her silver Toyota Camry through traffic, darting from lane to lane anytime an opening presented itself in an attempt to shave a few more seconds off of her route. She routinely cut off other cars and avoided several near accidents more because of luck than because of actual driving skill. Her eyes flicked back and forth between the car in front of her and her rearview mirror, which was angled so that she could see her own face while she finished applying the last touches of her lipstick and eyeliner.

Because her mirror was aimed at her own face, she heard the police siren before she saw the flashing red and blue lights behind her. Kyla's heart fluttered in her chest. She was trying to make it to a job interview on time and was already cutting it close which is why she was driving erratically in the first place. Getting pulled over was certain to make her late.

There was still hope. Maybe the cop was just trying to get through traffic. Kyla pulled her Camry over to the side of the road hoping that he would go right past her on his way to break up a bank robbery or something. Her heart sank as the police cruiser slowed down with her, pulling in behind her car. The cop turned his siren off but kept his lights on. Kyla tried to ignore the gawking faces of other motorists as they passed by. Keeping her hands well below the line of her window she surreptitiously put the cap back on her lipstick and dropped it into her purse.

Kyla watched the cop in her left side mirror as he approached her driver’s side window. He was young and fit, not like some of the grotesquely obese swine she'd seen in a badge and uniform before. The cop was dressed in the light browns that the county sheriff's department wore. He was wearing mirrored sunglasses and had short brown hair. Kyla looked away from the left driver’s side mirror as he approached not wanting to make it obvious that she was looking at him. She bit nervously at her lower lip as she saw his form approach her window.

He knocked gently on the glass and Kyla pressed the button to lower the window but nothing happened. She tried it again and stared stupidly at the button for a split second before turning the key in the ignition enough to activate the accessories then pressed the button again. This time it lowered. The cool morning air permeated Kyla's car. The gasoline and asphalt smells of the road pervaded her nostrils. She could hear the dull liquid roar of each car as it passed her on the street.

"License, registration and proof of insurance," said the cop in a flat, monotone voice. Kyla reached for her purse, pulled out her wallet, and showed the cop her license.

"Please take the license out of the wallet," he said. She gripped the license between two fingers, her nails, painted cherry red, pressed against the plastic card as she pulled it from its sleeve. She handed the license to the cop and then found her insurance and registration in the bottom of her glove compartment and handed them over as well.
knightwriter is offline   Reply With Quote