View Single Post
Old 03-21-2008, 08:59 AM   #182
Sternenlied
Unknown Entity

Sternenlied has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Sternenlied has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Sternenlied has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Sternenlied has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Sternenlied has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Sternenlied has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Sternenlied has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Sternenlied has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Sternenlied has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Sternenlied has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Sternenlied has a maximum reputation! (1000+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Sternenlied

In this case it is me who wouldn't want to disagree.

Of course there are no absolutes when it comes to the feelings of victims and/or their relatives. Since the question of an assailant asking the victim for forgiveness - or maybe he/she just wants to explain why he/she did whatever it is he/she did - is usually a hypothetical one it rarely comes up in real life.
I wouldn't claim however it never happens and in some cases might even give the victims and/or their relatives some sort of relief, closure, salvation, etc. ...
It may also work the other way around. Knowing the perpetrator's motive might as well increase the pain for their victims. Some sad truth more than one victim had to encounter when in court, finally listening to the assailant's statement.
Maybe being a woman renders me somewhat incapable of staying a hundred percent objective about it but I still can't see any reason (and thus possibly an excuse) for a rapist's actions and so a reason for me not to go after him/her.

Maybe Huni_Heart's question should be widened: Can you (rape victims) imagine a situation/reason to consider eventually forgiving your rapist?