View Single Post
Old 01-15-2011, 11:14 AM   #40
justmetoo
Privileged Member

justmetoo has a maximum reputation! (1000+)justmetoo has a maximum reputation! (1000+)justmetoo has a maximum reputation! (1000+)justmetoo has a maximum reputation! (1000+)justmetoo has a maximum reputation! (1000+)justmetoo has a maximum reputation! (1000+)justmetoo has a maximum reputation! (1000+)justmetoo has a maximum reputation! (1000+)justmetoo has a maximum reputation! (1000+)justmetoo has a maximum reputation! (1000+)justmetoo has a maximum reputation! (1000+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil-Mac View Post
Yes the 2nd amendment was written at a time in our history when the nation needed an armed citizenrey to help defend it, but that time has long passed. I am not saying it should be done away with, but there should be tighter limits on who has access to gus, especially hand guns. AND the accrutrement that go along with them... like the 30 round clips this nut was carrying.
I agree 100 percent to putting tighter limits on getting a handguns. I see no reason why there couldn't be a 30 wait period during which time a far more thorough background check could be performed. I know in this day and age the instant gratification folks would be pissed but I also know that if I want to purchase certain items I have to wait sometimes. I don't see many reasons where a legit gun owner would object to this. Maybe that's just me though.

Quote:
The ban on assualt weapons should never have been allowed to lapse. The goddamned republican congress of 2004 is directly to blame for this, and indirectly to blame for the magnitude of the trajedy this past Saturday. Had that ban NOT been allowed to lapse the 30 round magz would STILL be illegal. Yet another example of how Bush and the Republicans fucked America.
I consider myself to be a gun enthusiast. I see no reason and have no desire to own an assault rifle. I do question your comment though about the 30 round mag. I'm not sure that was banned before. But you are correct in that ban should never have been revoked.

Quote:
Now before my good republican friends here decide to lynch me let me say this. There are many great republicians, both in and out of government. The country needs them, needs their spirit, their drive, their wisdom. But something happened to the Republican Party during the first decade of this new century. (yes I am aware 9/11 happened but that doest excuse it, though it HAS become a cover for all sorts of shady republican deals)

These are NOT Reagan's Republicans, they are something else. I am a Reagan Republican, was proud to be one, am still proud to be one. These days though, I look at what the party has become and I cringe.
Not a lot of people make the distinction between a Reagan Republican and what the party as turned in to. 30 years ago I found it very easy to proclaim myself a Republican. It is far harder these days. Actually, I tell most people now that I am far more Libertarian than anything else.

Quote:
This country has serious problems, and it needs serious people from ALL political leanings to come together and solve them. We need another Reagan, and I dont care what party he or she comes from. Someone who can shame us, challenge us, and make us put aside our differences and acknowledege our commonalities. Someone to remind us that we are ALL in this together and it's going to take the efforts of all of us to move forward.
I hope that people learn from this tragedy and move forward in a far more united way. However after hearing what some of the upper morons are saying I am sad that deep in my heart I know that will not happen. People are so unwilling to compromise on details that shot down the best of ideas. It's not my generation that is going to suffer from this. It's going to be my kids and future grand-kids that are going to pay the price.

Some day they will look back on this generation and wonder how on earth we managed to fuck everything up as badly as we did. I'm not sure what I will tell them either. Was it was because we became so self centered and greedy? Was it because we wanted everything, right now? I don't know. I just know that I look around and don't like what I see.
justmetoo is offline   Reply With Quote