View Single Post
Old 11-30-2010, 10:21 AM   #23
Sierra
Privileged Member

Sierra has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Sierra has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Sierra has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Sierra has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Sierra has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Sierra has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Sierra has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Sierra has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Sierra has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Sierra has a maximum reputation! (1000+)Sierra has a maximum reputation! (1000+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memento Mori View Post
Never preach to me about respecting soldiers. I spent an entire lifetime worshipping my Vietnam vet dad, and living on base after an engagement to a soldier. I get my beliefs from them. Find it disrespectful? Take it up with him. I am calling out the immature soldiers who call out his fellow hero, and gives him a hard time over something that is nobody's business but his/her own. I don't give a flying horse fuck if it is disrespectful. Truth can be hard to swallow. Times are changing. People are beginning to realize the flaws in dadt. It was repealed for a moment, but Conservative America can't handle equality for anyone not a white, straight, vanilla Christian male. I spent my life on countless military bases, and know more than you think. I love that whole 'walk a mile in their shoes' argument. I watched four friends go to war, and three come back hollowed out inside. The fourth didn't come back at all. I don't care if any of them are gay. They are all equally heros.
Whoa.....

Much as I might agree with your distaste for the Moral Majority, nobody here is a member of that group. Put the machine gun away.

As for immature, we tend to forget how heartbreakingly young most of these soldiers are. Most of them are just out of high school and would be wrestling their own sexual identity if they could just get their hormones under control. Of COURSE they are immature. Everyone in this room was immature at 18, no matter how grownup we tried to be or thought we were.

There really is no perfect answer here. Just bad ones and worse ones. It's all well and good to say that people need to just grow up, but that is simply not reality.
Sierra is offline   Reply With Quote