PDA

View Full Version : The CoS

dashrendar44
03-06-2008, 12:31 AM
Hello all. Before i even start, I'd like to say I'm coming into this as a member of Anonymous and not as DashRendar44 (I know, most of you know me, but I think it still needs to be said). I am not making this to bash individual believers of Scientology, and I believe that you can believe whatever you like. This thread is about the manipulation, destruction of lives and with-holding of information that should be public knowledge by the CoS(Church Of Scientology). I will go over these three points now and simply lay out the facts, no biases or skewed opinions. Keep in mind, yes my source is Wikipedia.org, BUT everything I put here has a direct link on the site where I retrieved this information, proving that this is not another case of "just because its up there makes it true."

Manipulation - The E-Meter - The Church of Scientology restricts the use of the E-meter to trained professionals, treating it as "a religious artifact which can only be used by Scientology ministers or ministers-in-training. It does not diagnose or cure anything. It purports to measure the mental state or change of state of a person and thus is of benefit to the auditor in helping the preclear locate areas to be handled."

A 1971 ruling of the United States District Court, District of Columbia (333 F. Supp. 357), specifically stated, "The E-meter has no proven usefulness in the diagnosis, treatment or prevention of any disease, nor is it medically or scientifically capable of improving any bodily function."

Though there is far more to this point, it is one of the hardest to legitimately research without adding any assumptions or biases, which I have said above I will not do. However, I greatly encourage you to read into this aspect more, as it is a large part of the problem with this institution.

Destruction Of Lives - "Attack The Attacker" Policy - The organization's actions reflect a formal policy for dealing with criticism instituted by L. Ron Hubbard, called "attack the attacker." This policy was codified by Hubbard in the latter half of the 1960s, in response to government investigations into the organization. In 1966, Hubbard wrote a criticism of the organization's behavior and noted the "correct procedure" for attacking enemies of Scientology:

(1) Spot who is attacking us.
(2) Start investigating them promptly for felonies or worse using own professionals, not outside agencies.
(3) Double curve our reply by saying we welcome an investigation of them.
(4) Start feeding lurid, blood sex crime actual evidence on the attackers to the press.

Don't ever tamely submit to an investigation of us. Make it rough, rough on attackers all the way. You can get "reasonable about it" and lose. Sure we break no laws. Sure we have nothing to hide. BUT attackers are simply an anti-Scientology propaganda agency so far as we are concerned. They have proven they want no facts and will only lie no matter what they discover. So BANISH all ideas that any fair hearing is intended and start our attack with their first breath. Never wait. Never talk about us - only them. Use their blood, sex, crime to get headlines. Don't use us. I speak from 15 years of experience in this. There has never yet been an attacker who was not reeking with crime. All we had to do was look for it and murder would come out. -- Attacks on Scientology, "Hubbard Communications Office Policy Letter," 25 February 1966

"Fair Game" Policy - Hubbard detailed his rules for attacking critics in a number of policy letters, including one often quoted by critics as "the Fair Game policy." This allowed that those who had been declared enemies of the Church, called "suppressive persons" or simply "SP," "May be deprived of property or injured by any means... May be tricked, sued or lied to or destroyed." (taken from HCOPL Oct. 18, 1967 Issue IV, Penalties for Lower Conditions)

The aforementioned policy was canceled and replaced by HCOPL July 21, 1968, Penalties for Lower Conditions.[8] The wordings "May be deprived of property or injured by any means... May be tricked, sued or lied to or destroyed." are not found in this reference.[9] Scientology critics however claim that only the term but not the practice was removed. To support this contention, they refer to "HCO Policy Letter of October 21, 1968" which says: "The practice of declaring people FAIR GAME will cease. FAIR GAME may not appear on any Ethics Order. It causes bad public relations. This P/L does not cancel any policy on the treatment or handling of an SP."

In separate cases in 1979 and 1984, attorneys for Scientology argued that the Fair Game policy was in fact a core belief of Scientology and as such deserved protection as religious expression.

Criminal Behaviour - There is too much to go into in this thread, so I will post the link. If there is one part of this post I think you should read, this would most likely be the part I reccomend you read. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noah_Lottick#Criminal_behavior

Lisa McPherson - Over the years, the Church of Scientology has been accused of culpability in the death of several of its members.[39]

The most widely publicized such case involved the 1995 death of 36-year-old Lisa McPherson, while in the care of scientologists at the Scientology-owned Fort Harrison Hotel, in Clearwater, Florida. Despite McPherson's having experienced symptoms usually associated with mental illness (such as removing all of her clothes at the scene of a minor traffic accident), the Church intervened to prevent McPherson from receiving psychiatric treatment, and to return her to the custody of the Church of Scientology. Records show that she was then placed in isolation as part of a Scientology program known as the Introspection Rundown.[40] Weeks later, she was pronounced dead on arrival at a hospital. Her body was covered in cockroach bites. A later autopsy showed that she had died of a pulmonary embolism.

Criminal charges were filed against the Church of Scientology by Florida authorities. The Church of Scientology denied any responsibility for McPherson's death and they vigorously contested the charges; the prosecuting attorneys ultimately dropped the criminal case. After four years, a $100 million civil lawsuit filed by Lisa McPherson's family was settled in 2004. The terms of the settlement were sealed by the court.[41]

The suit resulted in an injunction against the distribution of a film critical of Scientology, The Profit, which the Church claimed was meant to influence the jury pool.

Noah Lottick - Noah Lottick was an American student of Russian studies who committed suicide on May 11, 1990 by jumping from a 10th-floor hotel window, clutching his only remaining money in his hands.[42] After his death, a controversy arose revolving around his parents' concern over his membership in the Church of Scientology.

Noah Lottick had taken Scientology courses, and paid USD$5,000 for these services.[42][43] After taking these courses, Lottick's friends and family remarked that he began to act strangely. They stated to Time magazine that he told them that his Scientologist teachers were telepathic, and that his father's heart attack was purely psychosomatic.[42] Five days before Lottick's death, his parents say he visited their home claiming they were spreading "false rumors" about him.

Lottick's father, Dr Edward Lottick, stated that his initial impression of Scientology was that it was similar to Dale Carnegie's techniques. However, after his son's death, his opinion was that the organization is a "school for psychopaths."[42] He blamed Scientology for his son's death, although no direct connection was determined. After Dr Lottick's remarks were published in the media, the Church of Scientology haggled with him over $3,000 that Noah had allegedly paid to the Church and not utilized for services.[42] The Church claimed Lottick had intended for this to be a donation.

With-Holding Of Knowledge - Information On The Teachings Of The Church - Xenu - The Church has tried to keep Xenu confidential[4] but critics say the story should be made public, given the high prices charged for OT III, part of Scientology's secret "Advanced Technology" doctrines taught only to members who have already contributed large amounts of money to the organization.[5] The Church avoids making mention of Xenu in public statements and has gone to considerable effort to maintain the story's confidentiality, including legal action on the grounds of both copyright and trade secrecy. Despite this, much material on Xenu has leaked to the public, largely via the Internet.

In its public statements, the Church of Scientology has been notably reluctant to admit the existence of writings on Xenu and even to mention Xenu's name; court filings and legal correspondence issued by the Church of Scientology in the 1990s frequently struck out the name "Xenu" and replaced it with "Xxxx",[27] a treatment given to no other term. In the relatively few instances in which it has acknowledged Xenu, the Church has stated the story is a religious writing that can be seen as the equivalent of the Old Testament, in which miraculous events are described that are unlikely to have occurred in real life, and assumes true meaning only after years of study.

Citations:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology_controversies
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-meter
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenu

Again, this topic is difficult to talk about without inserting certain levels of bias, as it even appears in the primary sources for this information. Yet once again, if you are to look into it, it would not take long to formulate an educated opinion on this matter. I recognise this thread is long and may be difficult to go through for many, but all I ask is that it is read, comprehended to the best of your ability, and to comment back. The next global protest against the CoS is March 15. We are Anonymous. We are Legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us.